Bulktransporter 464 Tank Service C

ITCO annual survey shows 12% growth in tank container fleet over past year

June 17, 2014

Data collected for the International Tank Container Organisation’s (ITCO’s) second Tank Container Fleet Survey shows that 12% more tank containers are in in operation this year than in 2013. Around 42,600 tank containers were manufactured in 2013, up from 39,700 in the previous year.

Based on detailed research gathered from tank container operators, leasing companies, and other owners, the Survey provides a qualified estimate that there are around 394,000 tank containers presently in operation worldwide. Of this global fleet, some 70% are in use by dedicated tank container operators and logistics companies, while the remaining 30% are operated by chemical producers and other cargo shippers, together with rail organizations, shipping lines, oil companies, and military/governmental authorities.

Compiled with the support of ITCO members and based on data provided by tank container owning companies, the ITCO Survey gives details of 176 operators of tank containers worldwide with a fleet figure of 265,000 units.

A total of 34 leasing companies, with a fleet size of 176,500 units, are listed in the survey. However, as the majority of these tanks are leased to operators or directly to cargo shippers, leasing company tanks (with the exception of units not currently in operation) are not included in the global fleet total.

Growth in the tank container industry is reflected by the number of new containers built. The ITCO Survey gives details of 18 tank container manufacturers that produced a record number of more than 42,620 new tank containers in 2013 to an estimated value of about $900 million. Those are 12% more than in 2012, a year that also had a record increase in production.

The complete report, giving details of the size, ownership and growth of the world’s tank container fleet, can be downloaded from the ITCO website http://www.itco.org.

The ITCO Fleet Survey is published annually, with periodic updates. ITCO welcomes companies to contribute to the on-going reports by providing fleet totals, comments, and recommendations on all aspects of the survey--including fleet estimate methodology.

The first opportunity to discuss the report face-to-face is the upcoming trade show Transport Logistic China taking place in Shanghai June 17-19, where visitors are invited to visit various players of the tank container industry in the Tank Container Village in Hall N2/382-460, hosted by ITCO.