Ford Commercial Solutions recently launched a web-based software platform and subscription service designed to grant fleet managers easy access to important connected vehicle data.
The service, Ford Telematics, allows commercial vehicle customers to monitor fleets with GPS tracking and geofencing, get live vehicle health alerts to plan and limit downtime, set reminders for vehicle service, analyze driver behavior, and help manage fuel usage to potentially reduce costs.
“Fleet operators and managers are always looking for better ways to improve their business, but they can only do that if they have the right data at hand,” according to Michelle Moody, director of Ford Commercial Solutions. “Ford Telematics not only puts that essential information right at their fingertips, its intuitive interface and mobile companion app for drivers make it even easier to process all that data – meaning businesses can focus on what they do best: serving their customers.”
Ford is offering six months of complimentary access to Ford Telematics on qualified commercial vehicle purchases through July 31.
As part of a Ford Telematics subscription, commercial customers will also have access to the Ford Telematics Drive mobile app (on iOS and Android), which offers a way to associate drivers with vehicles and for drivers to report the condition of their vehicles. Digital vehicle checks remove the need to file paperwork, and the app allows drivers to relay information, such as tire conditions or broken mirrors, that may not be readily available through a vehicle’s telematic control unit.
Some of the features for fleet managers include:
- Improved utilization: Keep track of fleet vehicles with GPS tracking and geofencing capabilities. Knowing exactly where vehicles are helps identify which driver is closest to the next call, plan more effectively and get the most out each vehicle.
- Maximized vehicle availability: Receive proactive notifications and vehicle health alerts to plan and stay ahead. Workflow tools will help schedule services well in advance, avoid costly, unexpected repairs and reduce disruption to fleet operations.
- Optimized running costs: Minimizing waste is crucial to every business. Fleet managers can monitor the fuel consumption of all vehicles and identify areas of waste as well as their causes.
- Protecting drivers and vehicles: Manage fleet and driver compliance with a range of notifications, including advance service reminders or a warning if a driver isn’t wearing their seatbelt. This helps managers act quickly and protect their staff, their vehicles and their operation.
- Improved driver behavior: Insights into driver behavior for coaching opportunities to increase efficiency, reduce waste and improve compliance.
Ford Telematics takes advantage of Ford vehicles’ built-in modems to transfer data directly from the vehicle to the cloud, and to connect with its platform — without the need for additional aftermarket hardware or third-party management.
All 2020 model year Ford and Lincoln vehicles come equipped with factory-installed connectivity. For vehicles already in service without factory-installed connectivity, Ford offers a plug-in modem kit.