Five California tank truck carriers have won Fleet Safety Awards from the California Trucking Association (CTA): Ventura Transfer Co, Apex Bulk Commodities, Rocha Transportation, Fuel Delivery Services, and Johnsrud Transport Inc.
CTA honors the carriers with the awards by recognizing their efforts at reducing accidents by designing and running a top-notch safety program. An independent panel of judges, chosen from government agencies, reviews the self-audit results provided by the participating companies and examines how they organize their safety programs, as well as training, driver supervision, preventive maintenance, and the overall record of accident reduction. A field audit is then performed by CTA safety staff to insure accuracy of all winning entries.
In most categories, there will be three companies receiving awards, but not in all cases, because in the opinion of the judges, fewer than three carriers entered that met the qualifications of the high standards required to receive the award.
The winners' places and categories are:
- Ventura, first place, specialized category, under two-million miles.
- Apex, first place, cement truck/dump truck category.
- Rocha, first place, liquid tank and vacuum category.
- Fuel Delivery Services, second place, liquid tank and vacuum.
- Johnsrud, third place, liquid tank and vacuum.