Robert Weller is the 2015 recipient of National Tank Truck Carriers’ William A Usher Sr Professional Tank Truck Driver of the Year. He was honored at an award breakfast April 27 during the NTTC’s 67th Annual Conference in Boston MA.
“This is truly an honor,” he said during the presentation ceremony. “I never thought anything like this would happen to me. It is an honor to stand with the other drivers on this stage. I realize I didn’t get here by myself. I had a support team in my family and my second family at Hahn Transportation. These people shared their knowledge with me. Barbara Windsor (president of Hahn Transportation) always ended every discussion with “be safe.”
Weller, a 40-year veteran driver at Hahn Transportation Inc in New Market MD, has more than 3.4 million accident-free miles on the road. He was a finalist for the Professional Tank Truck Driver of the Year Award in 2014, the inaugural year for the program.
Weller has received numerous company and industry driving and safety awards including Maryland Motor Truck Association Driver of the Year (2012), and he was an American Trucking Associations Road Team Captain. He has served as a new driver trainer and safety review board member at Hahn Transportation, trainer with the Maryland State Police hazmat division, and has worked extensively with the local volunteer fire department.
Weller was selected from among eight finalists, including:
- Olin Banks Jr, Florida Rock & Tank Lines Inc, Albany GA.
- William Harrison, K-Limited Carrier Ltd, Toledo OH.
- Robert Stevens, McKenzie Tank LinesInc, Panama City FL.
- John Thurman, United Petroleum Transports, Tulsa OK.
- Charles Carmin, Ruan Transport Corporation. Ft Wayne IN.
- Donald Tomberlin, Miller Transporters Inc, Jackson MS.
- Rich Offord, LCL Bulk Transport, Elizabethtown PA.