The Texas Trucking Association (TXTA) recently honored leaders in safety and professionalism during its Annual Conference in Grapevine, Texas.
They were recognized July 29 at TXTA’s Safety and Maintenance Awards Luncheon.
“The recipients of this year’s awards are drivers and technician who have gone above and beyond to promote safety on our roadways,” said John D. Esparza, TXTA president and CEO. “These men and women have tirelessly worked through the COVID-19 pandemic to deliver supplies and ensure the vehicles delivering those supplies are in the best condition possible. We owe them a great amount of gratitude for all they have done, not just for the trucking industry, but for communities across the country.”
This year’s award recipients are as follows:
- TXTA Driver of the Year – James Caldwell, CKJ Transport of North Texas
The TXTA Driver of the Year Award is selected from the best truck drivers operating in the state of Texas. After being nominated by their companies, drivers are rated in categories such as number of miles traveled without a chargeable accident, consistency, politeness on the road and tenure. The TXTA Driver of the Year represents TXTA in the American Trucking Associations’ competition for the National Driver of the Year title.
- Distinguished Safety Award – Angela Lam, Cheetah Transportation Systems
This award honors an individual that exemplifies dedication to motor fleet safety and demonstrates interest, enthusiasm and leadership in achieving the goals of protecting lives and property in the motor traffic environment.
- Honorary Distinguished Safety Award – Lance Shillingburg, TXTA
Shillingburg, TXTA’s senior vice president of safety and education, received the Honorary Distinguished Safety Award. He has been an employee of TXTA for 28 years and is a dedicated advocate for safety and education for the industry. Shillingburg has spent many hours leading trainings and seminars to ensure our roads and drivers are as safe as possible.
TXTA Truck Safety Contest Grand Champion
- Grand Trophy – GulfMark Energy
- First place in the intercity under 2.5 Million – Excargo Services
- First place in the intercity 5 to 10 Million – Dupré Logistics
- First place in the intercity over 20 Million – AAA Cooper Transportation
- First place in the local Under 1 Million – Coastal Plains Trucking
- First place in the local 1 to 5 Million – Petroleum Express
- First place in the local 5 to 10 Million – GulfMark Energy
- First place in the local Over 10 Million – Dupré Logistics
The Truck Safety Contest Award recognizes fleets of TXTA member companies which developed dignified professional driving performance in the trucking industry. These state winners, judged by the company's lowest overall accident frequency experience rates, are presented trophies and plaques in recognition of their achievement.
Technician of the Year Top 5
- 1st place – Rudy Laguna, HEB
- 2nd place – Corey Tegeler, Old Dominion
- 3rd place – Charles Gleason, UPS
- 4th place – Steve Roen, MHC Kenworth Dallas
- 5th place – Michael Kerfoot, TA Truck Service
The Technician of the Year Contest was initiated in 1982 by TXTA and the Fleet Maintenance Council to recognize the contributions of outstanding mechanics of the heavy vehicle fleet maintenance industry. This contest evaluates the mechanic's knowledge of their trade and ability to utilize that knowledge on basic mechanical problems.