Trucking Moves America Forward (TMAF), an industry-wide education and image movement, is sharing the industry’s honorable charity efforts during this holiday season after an industry-wide call for submissions through email and social media.
“From participating in efforts to feed the hungry and support our veterans, to collecting and delivering toys, shoes and other donations for those in need, the trucking industry has always taken great pride in giving back to the communities we serve,” said Kevin Burch, co-chairman of TMAF and president of Jet Express.
“Our trucking companies, drivers and employees united to donate their time, money and supplies to help others. TMAF is proud to share a collection of efforts of the organizations and companies who supported those in need this year this holiday season.”
Below is a list of trucking companies and industry organizations, consisting of all sizes and ranging in states from coast to coast, that are making a difference in American communities:
- American Trucking Associations' America’s Road Team helped deliver the items necessary for the Snowball Express event hosted by the Gary Sinise Foundation, a nonprofit organization that helps America’s veterans, first responders and their families. America’s Road Team transported the items for the event from Dallas TX to Orlando FL.
- American Trucking Associations’ Share the Road program participated in the Wreaths Across America convoy from Maine to Arlington National Cemetery carrying more than 3,900 wreaths to be placed on the graves of America’s fallen heroes. The convoy made stops in communities along the trip to Arlington, met with Gold Star Families, and showcased the important role trucking plays in honoring America’s fallen service members. ATA staff joined Share the Road truck drivers Nate McCarty and Ralph Garcia of ABF Freight to help disperse wreaths at Arlington National Cemetery.
- Albany NY-based Bestpass collected items for “Goodnight Bags,” for a local human services agency. The “Goodnight Bags,” which include items such as small blankets, flashlights, sketch pads, color pencils, crayons and stuffed animals, help make a child’s stay at The Equinox Domestic Violence Shelter as homey as possible. Bestpass also provided support and donated services for other causes through its #BestpassGives community outreach program.
- CFI, out of Joplin MO, donates to several charities, including Salvation Army, Bethany House, and Wilmer’s Initiative to Spread Hope. This holiday season, CFI donated 51 Christmas trees to local schools, senior centers and Children’s Haven. CFI also donated to Wreaths Across America.
- Goodyear AZ-based Contracted Driver Services donated blankets to The Honey Foundation, which provides blankets, jackets and socks to local homeless shelters during the holiday season.
- Employees of DriverFacts, based out of Anaheim CA, give back through a variety of ways, including serving annually in the Appalachian Mountains of Kentucky at Big Creek Missions; making visits to veterans centers, adult day care centers, convalescent homes, work in schools, and delivering food boxes and helping weatherize homes; helping to raise funds for Wreaths Across America at an annual banquet in Washington DC, and participating in their local wreath laying ceremony and raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis Society and Gold Rush Cure Foundation.
- Garner Trucking, based out of Findlay OH, participated in the 13th Annual Helping Hands Food Drive coordinated with The University of Findlay, and provided two trucks, trailers and drivers to accommodate the food hauling of over 97,400 pounds of food. Garner Trucking also delivered a truckload of wreaths to Arlington National Cemetery and Maine for Wreaths Across America, and employees donated coats to a local Coats for Christmas campaign and adopted a veteran and his family for the holiday season through the Salute a Veteran for the Holidays program.
- Defiance OH-based Keller Logistics Group serves as a donation processing center for Soles4Souls, a global nonprofit dedicated to fighting poverty through the distribution of shoes and clothing. To date, Keller Logistics Group has collected and processed 16,867 pairs of shoes. Keller Logistics Group also supports veterans through the Keller Assists Veterans in Crisis program, which has raised $181,173 in donations, and by helping deliver wreaths to cemeteries across Ohio for Wreaths Across America Day.
- Kenan Advantage Group (KAG), based out of North Canton OH, participated in Project North Pole through the Domestic Violence Project, Inc. and helped support a few specific families at one of the local shelters. KAG also hosted a holiday party for their cleaning crew. Additionally, a KAG dispatcher collects toys and donates them to the Midland County Probate & Juvenile Court Foster Care Program and Midland County Foster Closet.
- Load One, based out of Taylor MO, donated winter jackets to students in need at a local elementary school. Load One transported the jackets from Chicago IL and used their warehouse to sort the jackets before delivering them to the school.
- San Diego CA-based Lytx partnered with the Boys & Girls Club of San Diego. Lytx employees participated by providing gifts for ten families that they “adopted.” Employees could select tags hanging from a tree in the Lytx lobby with the families’ “wish lists” items and return the wrapped presents under the tree. Lytx employees also served lunches to those in need at Father Joe’s Village, San Diego’s largest homeless services provider, which provides care to nearly 1,800 individuals daily.
- The Minnesota Trucking Association (MTA) raised $35,000 for its Trucks and Toys program, which helps connect children in need at local charities with holiday gifts provided by trucking industry professionals. This year, MTA members were able to donate more than 3,000 toys to charities throughout the state of Minnesota. MTA members also raised $11,000 to donate to a local state senator’s Annual Stock the Shelves event, which collects funds for Hunger Solutions Minnesota.
- The National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA) Foundation’s Emergency Relief Fund, which includes the American Truck Dealers (ATD), provided financial assistance to employees from three commercial truck dealerships in North Carolina and South Carolina who sustained personal property damage from Hurricane Florence.
- Omnitracs, based out of Dallas TX, partnered with a variety of charities, including Wreaths Across America Foundation; Omnitracs pledged $25,000 to purchase 2,500 wreaths for wreath-laying ceremonies across the nation. Omnitracs’ individual offices also supported local charities. The team in Minnetonka MN held a food drive and donated 499 pounds of food and made a monetary donation to its local food shelf. The Omnitracs team in Oakville, Ontario partnered with The Mississauga Food Bank and raised $1,032.78 through an online giving page and donated 187 pounds of food.
- Pilot Flying J, based out of Knoxville TN, donated $2 million to more than 20 nonprofit organizations that support veterans and those in need throughout the communities they serve, including Hire Heroes USA, Boys and Girls Club of America and Feeding America.
- Commercial vehicle driving instructors from Florida’s Pinellas Technical College (PTC) delivered a trailer full of wreaths to Bay Pines National Cemetery in St. Petersburg. The wreaths were placed at the headstones of fallen heroes during the Wreaths Across America Day.
- Prime Inc, based out of Springfield MO, hosted a dodgeball tournament to raise money and toy donations for Toys for Tots.
- R&M Freight, based out of South Hampton NH, a member of the New Hampshire Motor Transport Association, donated their trailer at the Newington Mall for the Marine Toys for Tots Program, which was filled with donations.
- SH 130 Concession Co, which operates and maintains Segments 5 & 6 of SH 130 from Mustang Ridge to Seguin TX, partnered with the Caldwell County Sheriff’s Department’s Brown Santa program, which distributes hundreds of toys across the county in Central Texas. SH 130 Concession Co provided more than 70 toys, books and games that will go to families needing a little extra help this holiday season.
- Knoxville TN-based Skyline Transportation donated a tractor, trailer and drivers in support of the Mission of Hope Christmas Campaign, which delivers food, hygiene, new clothing and new toys to families in Appalachia. Skyline also helped deliver wreaths for Wreaths Across America. This year, Skyline delivered 200 boxes and nearly 2,000 wreaths from Maine to the Knoxville National Cemetery.
- TransLand, based out of Springfield MO, transported toys and helped package eggs and food for distribution for a local non-profit, Crosslines, which distributes holiday food and brand-new toys to thousands of neighbors in need. TransLand participated in Wreaths Across America, delivering a truckload of wreaths from Maine to national cemeteries in Illinois. Employees at TransLand also adopted a family of five to ensure they have a Merry Christmas.
- The Texas Trucking Association’s Emerging Leaders Council coordinates an annual donation event for Toys for Tots. The council arranged the pickup and storage of toys from locations across the state, distributing more than 100 boxes and picking up donations from over 300 pickups. Participating member companies include: Canal Cartage, Gulf Intermodal Services, Point 2 Point, Scopelitis, Apex Capital, Central Freight, Walport, VOLVO, Refrigerated Transport Inc, The Fuentes Firm, CKJ Transport, Premier Refrigerated Warehouse, Great West, Mondics Insurance Group, Utility Trailer of Dallas, Bruckner Truck Sales of Dallas, Craddock Moving and Storage, Edward Jones of Plano.
- Tri State Truck Center, based out of Shrewsbury MA , hosted their annual Haulin’ 4 Hunger Program, which provides fresh meals to almost 13,000 food-insecure community residents.
- The Truckload Carriers Association (TCA) and its member companies were instrumental in the delivery of the 2018 US Capitol Christmas Tree, the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund’s The Wall That Heals, as well as Wreaths Across America remembrance wreaths this holiday season.
To learn more about TMAF and join the movement, visit truckingmovesamerica.com.