Trucking Moves America Forward (TMAF), an industry-wide education and image movement, announced the results of a national poll and detailed five years of progress at the 2019 Mid-America Trucking Show.
TMAF recently commissioned new research to determine perceptions of the industry from the motoring public. The results confirm the industry has been successful in shifting public perception toward a more positive image. Key findings include:
- 67% of American drivers have a favorable view of the trucking industry. This was nearly the same as 2015 at 68%.
- 74% of American drivers believe the trucking industry plays a very important role in the nation’s economy, up from 71% in 2015.
- 70% of motorists are overwhelmingly positive about the trucking industry's safety record; the same in 2015.
- 86% view trucking as a career vs a temporary job, the same as 2015.
- A growing percentage of American motorists (57%) believe trucks move more freight than railroads or airplanes, an increase from 49% in 2015.
- Though a small percentage of motorists have seen, heard or read information about TMAF, of those who have, 83% have a more favorable view of the industry.
The online survey, conducted by Public Opinion Strategies, surveyed 800 American adults with driver’s licenses from Feb. 14-18, and it compared results from a replicated survey from 2015. A breakdown of the research findings, including verbatim responses, can be found at TruckingMovesAmerica.com.
“TMAF was founded five years ago to help shift the public’s perception of the trucking industry, which had suffered from an outdated and tarnished reputation,” said Kevin Burch, co-chairman of TMAF and president of Jet Express. “We’re proud of the milestones we’ve accomplished in five years. Our latest poll shows that more Americans recognize that truck drivers are hardworking professionals who work diligently to safely deliver our goods on time. Motorists have a much more positive view of the industry now, describing truck drivers as the ‘backbone of our country.’ Americans also understand the industry plays a very important role in the country’s economy.
“As we enter our fifth year of operation, we will extend our message more broadly through our outreach and education efforts to reach more of the motoring public and aim to shift public perception even further.”
During a presentation at MATS, TMAF showed a video highlighting its accomplishments over the five years since its inception, including:
- 200 donors
- 3,410 subscribers
- 240 trailer wraps on the road, making a total of 38.4 billion impressions each year
- More than 344 million advertising impressions
- More than 200 earned media placements totaling 162 million impressions
- 16,276 Facebook followers; 4,586 Twitter followers; 1,100 Instagram followers
- 24 blog posts
TMAF’s 2018 accomplishments are showcased in its newly released 2018 Annual Report titled “Miles in a Movement: Advancing the image of the trucking industry.” To view the report, visit the website or click here. An infographic that summarizes the report is included online.
Highlights of TMAF’s accomplishments in 2018 include:
- 35 million billboard impressions and 385,000 social media impressions during National Truck Driver Appreciation Week.
- 47 earned media stories and placed 11 op-eds, resulting in 35.5 million print impressions.
- 254 million radio listener impressions.
- 16,000 Facebook followers; 4,500 Twitter followers
- 116% growth on Instagram; 79% growth on LinkedIn.
- Mascot Safety Sammy traveled across the US and helped TMAF reach more than 130,000 attendees at events.
To learn more about TMAF and join the movement, visit truckingmovesamerica.com.