Barbara Herman is a trail-blazing tank truck driver.
The Toledo, Ohio native, who’s been driving trucks for 34 years, the last 10 with K-Limited Carrier, was named the first female winner of the National Tank Truck Carriers’ Professional Tank Truck Driver of the Year award during a ceremony Wednesday at Wynn Las Vegas in Nevada.
Herman, who received the coveted Usher Trophy—which is named after the late William A Usher Sr—for her achievement, boasts 1.7 million accident free miles in her career, and 750,000 safe miles with K-Limited.
She’s also a six-time winner of K-Limited’s certificate of excellence.
This year’s contest marked the sixth anniversary of the driver recognition program sponsored by Great West Casualty of South Sioux City, Nebraska. As the 2018-19 grand champion, Herman will serve as NTTC’s spokesperson for the industry and attend safety-focused events throughout her term.
Previous winners of the Tank Truck Driver of the Year award are:
- 2013-14—James Starr, Groendyke Transport, Enid OK
- 2014-15—Bobby Weller, Hahn Transportation, New Market MD
- 2015-16—Darryl Nowell, Eagle Transport, Rocky Mountain NC
- 2016-17—Todd Stine, Carbon Express, Wharton NJ
- 2017-18—Paul Emerson, Foodliner, Dubuque IA
The 2018-19 Driver of the Year finalists were:
- Ronald Baird, Hoffman Transportation/G&D Trucking, Channahon IL
- Mark A Dorrance, Dixon Bros, Newcastle WY
- James Ellis Sr, Grammer Industries, Columbus IN
- Tony T Stinnett, Usher Transport, Louisville KY
- Barbara Herman, K-Limited Carriers LTD, Toledo OH
- Tim Howerton, Groendyke Transport Inc, Enid OK
- Michael Hunter, Atlas Oil Company, Taylor MI
- William McNamee, Carbon Express, Wharton NJ
Click on the slideshow button for more scenes from NTTC’s 71st Annual Conference & Exhibits, and look for more coverage in an upcoming issue of Bulk Transporter magazine.