WABCO, a leading global supplier of technologies that improve the safety, efficiency and connectivity of commercial vehicles, exhibited its new Technology Showcase Trailer for the first time at the 2017 Mid-America Trucking Show (MATS). The show was held March 23-25 in Louisville KY.
The Technology Showcase Trailer highlights WABCO innovations through hands-on, interactive displays and demonstrations of industry-leading safety and efficiency technologies, as well as comprehensive wheel-end solutions, including:
• Air Disc Brakes (ADB): WABCO MAXXUS heavy-duty ADB for trucks and MAXX22TTM ADB for trailers deliver high-performance braking power fueled by its industry-leading single-piston design. With 25% fewer parts, WABCO ADB feature superior reliability, faster serviceability and expanded service intervals of up to twice that of traditional drum brakes. In addition, WABCO MAXXUS ADB reduces stopping distances up to 10% compared to today’s average drum brakes.
• WABCO OptiFlow AutoTail: The first aerodynamic tail in the United States to feature automatic deployment and retraction, WABCO’s OptiFlow AutoTail delivers fuel savings of up to 4.3% at highway speeds. WABCO’s OptiFlow AutoTail deploys and retracts tail panels based on driving speed as determined by sensors linked to WABCO’s trailer antilock braking systems (ABS). The device automatically deploys at vehicle speeds of 45 mph ensuring it is consistently used at speeds that maximize aerodynamic fuel savings. The tail panels automatically retract at a vehicle speed of 10 mph.
• TRISTOP D Brake Chambers: WABCO’s innovative brake chambers for air disc and drum brakes feature an internal breathing valve (IBV). This technology allows only clean, dry air from the braking system to enter the braking chamber, protecting against contamination and corrosion and thereby improving vehicle uptime and reducing service costs.
• Integrated Vehicle Tire Monitoring (IVTM) System: WABCO’s IVTM system continuously monitors and displays tire pressure data, enabling commercial vehicle operators to maintain optimal tire pressure. This helps extend tire life, improves safety and reduces downtime. In addition, optimizing tire pressure helps avoid under-inflation, a major contributor to increased fuel consumption. Leveraging telematics, tire pressure data is shared with fleet managers and dispatchers, helping to optimize scheduled maintenance.
• WABCO EasyFit Automatic Slack Adjuster: WABCO EasyFit is a maintenance-free brake adjuster with clearance sensing, the most efficient adjustment design. Simple and quick to install, it maintains a constant clearance between brake lining and drum even under extreme temperature conditions and features best-in-class corrosion protection. WABCO EasyFit significantly reduces service costs as it eliminates the need for quarterly brake service. ♦
Find the Mid America Trucking Show archive with articles from 2010 to present