Official ID requiredfor all entries into US

John Conley, president of the National Tank Truck Carriers is reminding the industry that beginning June 1, 2009, the United States Customs and Border Protection Agency will require any United States or Canadian citizen crossing into the United States to have a passport or other authorized form of identification.

"This does include truck drivers," Conley said. "Now is the time to obtain these documents if you do not already have one. You can count on a rush as the June 1 date gets closer."

When the regulation goes into effect travelers will be required to to present an approved travel document to enter the United States. The approved documents include a passport; a passport card; a NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST trusted traveler program card; or a state- or province-issued enhanced driver’s license.

More information about acceptable documents and how to apply for them can be found online at

Hide comments


  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.